Close
projekt-mx5.de

Ergebnis 1 bis 6 von 6

Danke Dank erhalten 0  Bedankt 0

Insurance of tuned MX5 (sorry for the english...)

Hi all.

I apologize for writing in English, but my German is not very good.

I'm currently living in Germany, and for long I've wanted to get an MX5 and I'm currently looking for cars around the Mainz area.

I'm from Sweden, where tuning an MX5 is illegal, since they are type approved. The swedish Tüv will not approve a car with turbo or supercharger, but this is legal here in Germany. Since I've seen a few cars with the HPA kit, I thought a little bit about getting one while I am in Germany.

I wonder how it works with insurance. Am I by law required to state to my insurer that the car is tuned, and by approximation how much more epxpensive could it be? I'm on 70% thanks to owning cars in Sweden.

Kind Regards,
    Christoffer

Danke Dank erhalten 0  Bedankt 0

Insurance of tuned MX5 (sorry for the english...)

Hi all.

I apologize for writing in English, but my German is not very good.

I'm currently living in Germany, and for long I've wanted to get an MX5 and I'm currently looking for cars around the Mainz area.

I'm from Sweden, where tuning an MX5 is illegal, since they are type approved. The swedish Tüv will not approve a car with turbo or supercharger, but this is legal here in Germany. Since I've seen a few cars with the HPA kit, I thought a little bit about getting one while I am in Germany.

I wonder how it works with insurance. Am I by law required to state to my insurer that the car is tuned, and by approximation how much more epxpensive could it be? I'm on 70% thanks to owning cars in Sweden.

Kind Regards,
    Christoffer

Danke Dank erhalten 1 in 1 Post  Bedankt 0

RE: Insurance of tuned MX5 (sorry for the english...)

Hi Christoffer,

I'm new to the MX-5, but can give you some perspective on motorcycle-tuning in Germany, the difference from a legal and insurance point of view shouldn't be much...

First and foremost, you have to get everything TÜV approved, which will be either through a generic ABE for the kit or by an individual approval for your specific construction.

Once you have that in your paüers, it's legal to put the machine on the road.

With regards to insurance: as you most likely increased the horsepower (besides other benefits), your car does no longer fit into the standard classification, thus, the insurer needs to be informed about changes and you need to request a special quote, which is either granted or not...

As you can see, the legal way's a stoney one...

Best regards,
    Michael

P.S.: Hope this helps as a high-level compilation; maybe somebody with hands-on experience on legally tuning an MX-5 can shed some additional light...

Danke Dank erhalten 1 in 1 Post  Bedankt 0

Hi Christoffer,

I'm new to the MX-5, but can give you some perspective on motorcycle-tuning in Germany, the difference from a legal and insurance point of view shouldn't be much...

First and foremost, you have to get everything TÜV approved, which will be either through a generic ABE for the kit or by an individual approval for your specific construction.

Once you have that in your paüers, it's legal to put the machine on the road.

With regards to insurance: as you most likely increased the horsepower (besides other benefits), your car does no longer fit into the standard classification, thus, the insurer needs to be informed about changes and you need to request a special quote, which is either granted or not...

As you can see, the legal way's a stoney one...

Best regards,
    Michael

P.S.: Hope this helps as a high-level compilation; maybe somebody with hands-on experience on legally tuning an MX-5 can shed some additional light...

Danke Dank erhalten 2 in 2 Posts  Bedankt 0

I'm going to put put a supercharger into my car this winter.

My insurance company is the HUK Coburg.

My insurance stays on the same level, even going from 85 to 142kw wouldn't change it
    Mein Mx5:
    Grün - tief - breit - laut - und auseinandergebaut

Mein Haus-Blog: http://unser-altbau.blogspot.de

Danke Dank erhalten 2 in 2 Posts  Bedankt 0

I'm going to put put a supercharger into my car this winter.

My insurance company is the HUK Coburg.

My insurance stays on the same level, even going from 85 to 142kw wouldn't change it
    Mein Mx5:
    Grün - tief - breit - laut - und auseinandergebaut

Mein Haus-Blog: http://unser-altbau.blogspot.de